The California Club was one of the longest running and most successful casinos in downtown Las Vegas. It went through numerous owners over its lifespan and among them were some of the best known of the Las Vegas business pioneers.
The owners and operators of the California Club loved to put their name on various items as you will see below. Among the owners were:
Phil Copley’s California Club: 1951-1954
Phil Long's California Club: 1954-1964
Frank Schivo's California Club: 1964-1970
The California Club logo was a bear that evolved over the years from a realistic western type bear to a happy cartoon bear as seen to the left.
The various incarnations of the bear were used on chips, matchbooks, keychains, ashtrays, and various casino related items.
The Nevada gaming commission approved requests for licenses to Walter Parman of Reno, NV and George Arquilla of San Jose for the California Club. (Reno evening Gazette December 10, 1953)
A full page Christmas ad from Fabulous Las Vegas Magazine December 24, 1955